WFIU is south central Indiana’s source for classical music, jazz, and news and information, broadcasting 24 hours a day from the campus of Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana.
WFIU programming draws from a variety of internationally acclaimed academic and professional departments and we have a partnership with Indiana University’s Jacobs School of Music. Our award-winning news staff is associated with the Indiana Public Broadcasting Statehouse News Bureau as well as with NPR.
Since its founding in October 1950, WFIU programming has primarily come from local sources. The station is also one of the original 90 charter members of National Public Radio (NPR), and distributes programming from Public Radio International (PRI) and American Public Media (APM).
Feature Programs such as Harmonia, Nightlights, Afterglow, and the modular mini-program A Moment of Science are produced at WFIU and distributed nationwide. WFIU also produces a series of programs specifically for podcasting.
WFIU also partners with organizations through our communities, informing listeners of non-profit services, concerts, events, and lectures.
We inspire, inform, and involve. Our values and activities are born of the purposes and hopes of Indiana University and of our listeners. For us, this work is a public trust.
- Promote the quest for knowledge and beauty
- We encourage listeners to be lifelong learners.
- Promote civic discourse
- We encourage listeners to participate in government as citizens of their communities, nation, and world.
- Reflect the nation’s cultural fabric
- We help listeners discover their national heritage through music, literature, and the arts.
- Provide a window to the world of knowledge and culture
- We select programs that reflect the best in critical thinking, music and the arts, drawing from global offerings.
- Introduce our unique Indiana voice to national and global audiences
- We produce programs that highlight the intellectual and cultural resources of our area.
- Build our communities
- We serve as supporters and promoters of public service organizations, helping their message reach the public.
- Contribute to the betterment of society
- We participate in initiatives that promote individual development and social responsibility.